Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving.....

Things that come to mind when thinking of Thanksgiving are turkey, stuffing, gravy, clothes that are too tight, naps,time with family etc. But, as with many holidays...does the focus of the true meaning of the day get lost in the shuffle? I am as guilty as the rest and I would say for sure it does. Every day is busy for me and the holidays are busier, and that means that we rush here and there...throw down some food and then onto the next thing. I hate that. I don't like that life takes over and that we hurry through things that should be savored, cherished and remembered.
I feel badly that maybe my day didn't reflect how truly thankful I am ...for everything. I know that in the quiet of my room at night that I am careful to remember all my blessings when I am in prayer...but, do I show that I am thankful? Sometimes I am not sure. I know that my rushing, stress, and sometimes short temper don't show that I am thankful...that bothers me. It seems that I always think...next year I am going to do a better job at showing that I am thankful....
This year we went around the table at my Mom's and listed 10 things that we were thankful for....10 things that perhaps we don't always mention...10 things that we don't just like but, that we love....It was amazing that the kids right down to Faith had little to no problem rattling off their 10 things....I will share with you a few of them.
Hunter's were: Sunny Spring Days, Basketball, "steak, pork chops, ribs and things of that nature" (gotta love him), smell of clean babies, times to myself alone, the privilege to stay up late, God
Chandler's were: Trips to Texas Tech, horses, Dr. Pepper, Steak, Papa's Airplanes, Cold days and Snow
Weston's were: Brinker Elementary, Elephant & Hippo(his favorite stuffed animals),Golfing with Dad, God and Teachers
Faith's were: RV Trips, Her pappy and blanky, sleeping in Mom and Dad's bed, Grandma's baby doll, the song Jesus is Mine, chocolate chip cookies and shoes (100% true and all on her own)(I thought it was cute, it scared Bo):)
Bo and I didn't feel like we could begin our list without placing our 5 amazing miracles at the top. We knew that they were "big" things and that we are regularly thankful for them...but, still it didn't feel right to put them anywhere else but at the top of our lists. Followed by the children a few of the items on our combined lists were our health, irreplaceable neighbors, sonic ice and diet coke,girlfriends to giggle with, having a job at a time when many don't, hearing my kids laugh, Family Vacations,our big family, long eyelashes and things that are pink. Again...these were random things from mine and Bo's lists....he wouldn't want any of you thinking that the pink or the girlfriend things were related to him. :) I personally felt like my list could go on and on...I am repeatedly thankful for the big things...but, there are so many small things for which I am HUGELY thankful. I hope my gratitude is not a hidden secret, I hope that people who know me best know that I am and the ones who don't....still see it. I know I could do a better job and I have once again added that to my list of things to work on....and hopefully one day I will get there.
I will say this.....I was so impressed by so many of the things on our children's list...so many of them so simple and yet so profound for their ages. It seems that even with our unintentional indulgences...our children still appreciate the small simple things in life....and for that I am thankful........

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and had many things for which you are truly thankful.

Love to all,
J

No comments: