Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Mom, Can you me bring my knitting?"


Not sure that I ever thought I would hear that in my house....at least not until the girls got older. Well, the moment arrived a little earlier than I expected and not really from the child I thought it would be.....
Yesterday the 5th grade had what is called Colonial Days at school. They have been studying the colonies, pilgrims, etc. So, all the kids had to dress up like a person from the Colonial times. Hunter was a pilgrim....The event lasted all day. Volunteers were to be up at school at 7:30am and it went until 2. They rotated classrooms and had different activities that represented the time. I (for once) said "No" to the volunteer opportunity because that seemed like a reeealllly long day to be talking about the Colonial Days....and the Mom's had to be in costume too...that was a major drawback for me. Anyway, I was up there for several hours taking pictures for the yearbook....that was enough for me...and after all....I could never not show up for something involving the kids....
One of the stations in a classroom was knitting....a Mom was able to get a ball of yarn and knitting needles for each child donated from a local shop. That was pretty cool! Anyway, when I arrived up at school...a Mom said to me in passing..."You should see Hunter...he is really taking to the knitting." I didn't really think much about it...and proceeded on with my photographing....a little while later a couple other Mom's made a comment about his knitting again...finally, a fourth Mom said...."Jennifer, you are amazing...how in the world do you find time to knit? To which I replied...."What are you talking about....not only can I not knit...I cannot even sew". She explained that she just assumed that Hunter knew how to knit prior to coming to school yesterday....I gasp...and said..."Oh, yeah...I am teaching my BOYS to knit....what are ya nuts?" "Have you met my husband???" We are only allowed the manliest of manly activities around here....he would never tolerate...knitting....!
The Mom said..."oh wow! well you should see him...so I go in search of him...and there he sat in his classroom with a couple of his friends all hunkered down knitting. His friends were struggling a bit...but, Hunter was motoring through and those needles were just going as fast as they could. I instantly explained to the Mom's giggling and ..."that is sooo cute" over my shoulder that...I could see Hunter's OCD had kicked in...and this was not about the fascination of knitting...but, about a task...a task to be learned and to be completed. He was determined with this...as he is about MANY things...never forgetting to cross of the day of the week on his calendar before he goes to bed, having me respond "sweet dreams" after he says goodnight...EVERY NIGHT, making lists and lists of the current NCAA Football Team rankings....and I could go ON and ON.....the knitting would be no exception. He noticed me there...and held up his work and said..."Mom, I am making a scarf for Halle...."
School let out, we went home and proceeded with the usual after school chaos. Later that night Hunter and I are preparing to watch an episode of Full House...as we do every night (again...OCD) and he is tucked in our bed...I am doing some last minute picking up and I hear him yell out...."Mom, could you please bring me my knitting?" Bo immediately jumps in..."what did he just say?".....I explain the day...and just as I suspected....rolled eyes...and a "gggggggrrrrrreeeeeeaaaattttt, Hunter is knitting" I was tempted to repeat all the banter from the Mothers at school...but, I could see my husband was in pain...and well...he just couldn't handle the truth. I thought about attempting to lower the stress level...I could give him a recap of how many "manly" free throws Hunter made when he was practicing basketball and how far he threw the "manly"football to the kids in their after school game of football!!! But, I could see that Bo had tuned me out was retreating to his happy place...and all would be fine!



Men...gotta love "em....
Love to all,
J

No comments: