Our little baby Halle turned 12 weeks old last Saturday! I can hardly believe it! When you have babies with colic...12 weeks is the ribbon at the end of the finish line. It's the big milestone of survival....however, not for us this time. After weeks and weeks of attempting to solve the tummy battles...her Dr. informed me that she is really only 5 weeks old because she was 7 weeks early. And you know...that Dr. is lucky I didn't knock her out! Why was that necessary to tell me??? I have changed formulas several times, tried the gas drops, the ALL natural gas drops, homeopathic gas tablets, and then we moved to the prescription meds. The Dr. offered me three different meds...normally I think I would have started at the low end of the totem pole but, we were up to holding her for about 14 hours a day now...and so I went for the Prevacid....I could barely get to the pharmacy fast enough to fill the script. And all I kept hearing in my head was the Dr.'s voice saying...."you just won't believe how much relief this medicine will give her....and you"! So, Bo headed to the pharmacy to pick up the miracle drug....a few minutes later my phone rang only to hear Bo on the other end arguing with the pharmacist in the drive thru....and requesting generic prevacid...to which there is none, then he asked her to double check again....annoyed...I finally asked what was going on....he shouted over the phone...."did you have any idea that this medicine was $250 dollars....did you"? Then I hear the pharmacist tell him that this was only a 15 day supply...I thought he was going to come through the phone....I was shocked a bit...but, told him to just pay the lady and bring the "gold" in pill form home to our screaming child!!!! All I could imagine was driving without screaming, dinner without screaming, homework without screaming...and being able to potty and type and a whole list of other things without holding her or using one hand! GET HOME...I said!
So, he paid and came home with the medicine....he had to leave almost immediately for a business function but, called me a few minutes later. Well, he said...have you given it to her....what is she doing"? I had just put it in her mouth..."at the moment she is just looking at me, I reported.....Then in Bo fashion...he said well, for that amount of money...the girl better be walking and talking by the time I get home....and informed that regardless of how miraculous the drug was...she would not be getting another $250 supply! About 5 minutes later she started screaming again and it would become obvious to us ....the money would have been better spent on those plum colored Uggs I had been eyeing. In short...it didn't work....and neither does anything else. The one sure fire thing that worked with Hunter was putting him on the washing machine....imagine how upset I was when I loaded Halle up in her carseat to take a ride on the washer...only to realize...we had upgraded to the new and wonderfully quiet and still HE washer.........ughhh!!!!!!
So, here we are....switching to soy has helped and Halle now smiles and coos at me just when I think I cannot take another moment. And when she does....my heart melts!
One silver lining in this is it has been very interesting watching the reaction of the other children to her constant discomfort and loud crying. I will notice that they all move in to help her find her pappy or are very willing to take turns rocking her carseat when I need to get something done! None of them complain and they all love her tremendously! So much so...they would "really like to have just ONE more......!!! Yikes!!!!
We will forge on for a few more weeks and hope that there is light at the end of our tunnel...but, even still....she is precious and her little giggle can wipe out the hours and hours of tireless crying!
Babies are an amazing miracle....and our newest little one is no exception!


Love to all,
J
No comments:
Post a Comment