My dates are a little behind but, wanted to touch on Father's Day. Our Father's Day was a little different this year, at least for me it was. Just a few days before Father's Day a good friend of Bo's died unexpectedly from a heart attack at 52 years old. Eddie has three daughters, one of the daughters was married in the spring and is expecting her first child, another daughter is to be married in the month of July. There were so many things tragic about his death. He was young, no time for goodbyes, his daughter will be married without him, his grandbaby will only know him through the eyes of Eddie's wife and daughters, so many unfinished things....
Just days before Eddie's death my Mother had emailed my brother and I a little something on some of her personal thoughts on the upcoming Father's Day weekend. The email spoke of her loss of her own Father...at a very young age that just happened to be right before her wedding as well. It talked about how much she missed him over the years and how much he missed in her life and all of ours.
The two events brought many thoughts to mind about the Father I was given. I have always felt extrememly blessed by both my parents. They are both incredible to me and our children and we have always shared a very close relationship. My Mother has been an amazing person in my life and an equally amazing Motherly example for me. I thought and thought about what she said in her email about her Father and my own.
What can I say about my Dad...I was always the "Daddy's Girl" by true definition. I have always had a connection to him and always loved that we were alot alike. We share many of the same interests and have much of the same temperment. We are both very happy optomistic people who enjoy life and the people in our lives. I have always admired my Father for his "can do" attitude and recognize that same trait in myself pertaining to a number of things. I share his love of electronics, photography and automobiles. He always reminds me of my love of aviation as a child although I think as I have aged and have had children I struggle with that hobby and my own mortality. In that struggle I have become less and less of an enthusiast of flying. Sorry Dad! However, I love how much he loves it. I will forever love the sight of my Father taking off in his airplanes and know that he experiences few pleasures that mean as much. Photography is a love of my Father's that he has passed onto me but, there are few things that touch me quite like a photograph of my Dad's. The photos he takes of my children are priceless and truly do speak a thousand words to me but, many of his other photos of airplanes and landscapes are a direct window into his beautiful soul. His photographic talent is a gift from God and I love that he recognizes that and uses it to it's fullest capacity. I love that even after it transformed from a hobby into a profession that he never takes his talent and gift for granted.
As blessed as I have felt...I feel even more blessed to have our children have them as Grandparents. I thought about how I missed out on that experience in my own life and what that has meant for me. I fall into the catagory of not really knowing what I missed because it was all I ever knew...that is ....until I had children. I must say that instead of feeling badly about what I missed...I relish in the joy our children get out of their Grandparents. I would not trade the memories they are making with them for even one of my own.
So, on this Father's Day....I hope that my sweet Dad knows how amazing I have always thought he was and is....how much I have loved every minute with him and how pride I have in being able to call myself his daughter. How much joy I get from watching him with our children. How important I think those memories are and how I know they are making my children into better people....
Then my thoughts shifted to another priveledge given to me....the Father given to my children. How remarkable Bo is with each one of them. How he never tires of playing with them...no matter how many hours he has worked. How his face lights up and his eyes twinkle when he talks about them or tells a story about something they have done. I am amazed at his patience and I love how he can make our children laugh. I have witnessed few men enjoy their children every day of their lives quite as much as Bo does. There is no place on earth he would rather be than with our kids. He has no prouder moments than those with our kids. He equally loves all his time with them whether it is throwing a baseball, shooting hoops, hitting golf balls or snuggling in on the couch to watch a movie. He is a softie for our little girl wanting to sleep in our bed and I love to watch the two of them snuggle up so close to eachother you couldnt slip a piece of paper between them. Our kids adore their Dad but, I do believe that one day I will ask them to reflect and make sure that they realize what a gift and a blessing they have in their Father....just as my Mother did to me. I will remind them to make sure that they don't miss the opportunity to express how much they love and appreciate all that he does for them and the sacrafices he has and will make for the good of our family. I know they already do but, like myself...I don't want them to assume he knows...it needs to be said.
Bo and I and the kids spent a nice Father's Day weekend with all the Father's in our life. Our gathering's meant a little more to me this year... and all through the weekend I kept having these moments where I would recognize how fortunate we are to have these great men in our family.....these amazing Father's...Brother's, Uncle's.....Grandfather's......and all of those are married to equally amazing women. Our children are surrounded by wonderful moral, christian, loving men and women. And what parent could wish for more....
Life is too short not to make sure that we honor these men in our family. I hope that we remember that not only on Father's Day but, all the days....I love and honor you all!
Love to all,
J
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Jennifer: Your Dad needs to frame this tribute. You are a very devoted daughter.Love, Ro
Post a Comment