Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Lake House.....

We arrived and returned safely from my Aunt and Uncle's Lake house in Florida. The kids were great on the airplane and very excited to begin their vacation. It is an annual vacation that we love and gives our kids a chance to renew the bond they have with my cousins who are like siblings to me. I have always been very close to both my Aunt and my Uncle and cherish the relationship that she and my Mom worked so hard to nurture. Though we have always had the distance from Dallas to Florida, when it comes to this family my heart has never felt them to be far away.

This year was a little different,special rather because my oldest cousin Brian and his wife Lauren had a baby girl in December and this was our first time to meet "Baby Reese". I don't think it a bit strange that I am about to have our 5th child, but yet every milestone in Brian's life seems emotionally challenging to me. I wasn't ready for him to be married and yet cannot imagine our family without "the babe" and now.....now he has become a Father. And as if there was anything I didn't think he could do well.....I was touched to see how well he did Fatherhood.

It was funny to watch my kids with Reese...she is 6 months old and I think they had all forgotten what it was like to have a new baby in the house. The boys were sweet as ever with her and it made each one of them so excited for our new baby. Faith.....well, Faith....loved her, without a doubt but, it made me think about 5 day a week preschool for Faith in the Fall. Just kidding...she was, as you all can imagine..very into taking care of her and getting into all her stuff. I just hope that she didn't frighten Lauren into stopping at 1....

Faith did divide her constant attention between Reese and my Aunt's four month old puppy Maggie. That poor dog must still be recovering from all her "walks" which resembled alot more like being dragged...and her talks....which were alot more like Faith explaining to her why she couldn't allow her to walk (get away) from her because she was "her baby". It wasn't a good sign that after we had only been in the house for an hour the dog would see Faith coming and run and hide under the couch. She could only be removed when leashed and drug (by Faith) although in her mind...Faith was doing her a favor...because what puppy doesn't want to be on a leash and go for a drag???? :)

We had a great week and it was great to meet the precious new addition to our family. All the boys learned to ski and did a fabulous job! They all popped right up and then we had to dump them on the beach to get them to quit. It was a combined family effort since I was confined to a beach chair in my current condition. Poor Papa, Brian, Lauren and Michael never got a rest..for my children never tire from the constant boat rides, tubing, seadoo rides and now skiing....And of course the never ending WWE wrestling moves by Michael was a huge hit! I love listening to my boys present their case for yet another seadoo ride to my Dad by saying....this time can we go on a "special" ride...as if they all aren't the same...and as if my Dad would EVER say No..... And that is one of the greatest things about this trip...they never hear that word. It is hard for them to understand that Brian and Lauren are parents and grownups now and have jobs and responsibilities and Michael is a college dude and has friends and outings....but, even with all that...the effort and the bonding is amazing.

The truth is....you would never know that the three of them have lives, professions and responsibilities because they cater to their every nautical whim. Then when their little tummies rumble my Aunt is there to whip up anything their hearts desire to nourish them for their next excursion. Amazingly, her kitchen never closes. It's funny...I dread a vacation more than life itself and yet this annual Lake Weir trip always proves to be one of the most relaxing weeks of my life. I love the accommodations, the food and most of all the company.

So, thanks Aunt for waiting on us hand and foot for another year. We keep saying as we keep expanding in numbers that this will probably be the last year but, then again...how could we deprive any of our other children of such an experience??? I don't think the day will come when I don't think it's a priority for all of us to spend time together and Faith has got alot to teach little baby Reese. So, don't count us out yet and keep the grill fired up for us....
Til next year,
Love to all,
J

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUtest grandchildren in the world. WHat great memories. THanks for sharing, Love, RO

LaurenC said...

Thanks for the sweet words and amazing video. I can't wait for next year already!
Love,
Lauren

Unknown said...

God is good! How blessed I have been to be able to share in your life and the lives of your children. xoxooxox Aunt