Yesterday morning our family lost not just a loved one.....but, "one" that was loved by many. On April 18, 2009 Pauline "Memaw" Burke retired to heaven to be with the love of her life and our Heavenly Father. She passed peacefully and for that we are all so thankful. Memaw had been sick and the last weeks of her life left her with unrest and discomfort....although, in following Memaw tradition...you would never know just how much it was taking a toll on her. Everytime you talked to her she might admit that she was having a bad day but, immediately following that she would assure you that tomorrow she was going to be so much better. It was difficult to turn her optimistic thoughts downward.
It is true that we will miss dear Memaw and that we are sad for her loss but, there are many other truths about her that are important to be remembered. The truth is that Memaw had a wonderful life and the evidence of that is the amazing family that she leaves behind. Her legacy of raising five daughters with Grandad who are all wonderful Mothers, fun and loving Grandmothers, who have in turn raised wonderful children of their own.......who are now rearing Memaw's 26 great granchildren. The truth is ....not many people would welcome shamelessly to have that many generations of their's looked at so closely....but, she would. She was more proud of each one of us as you moved right down the line to her last great granchild. She got more joy out of a five minute phone call or a five minute visit than most....and the truth is...she spent more time telling you how much she loved you and how much you meant to her that it often left you wondering if you called or visited for her...or for yourself.
The truth is that we will all miss picking up our phones and hearing "well, hello my darlin", or "joy, joy, joy"....after any tid bit of news we would share with her. Our children will miss hearing..."do you know how much Memaw loves you"...and only some will admit missing those big sloppy kisses that she insisted on blessing you with over and over again....but, truth is...we all will....
We will miss her stories and receiving her photos in our cards and as gifts. Most of all I think I will miss her attitude in life...or about life rather....
Her joy was something to marvel. I am not sure of a time I ever heard her complain about anything. Life was always good, she was always thankful and she always wanted someone to know how beautiful they were and how much she loved them.
As Bo and I are about to have our fifth child we discussed how well Memaw and Grandad raised a family without wealth, travel and possessions. How well they bonded this family and these generations on happiness, humor, optimism and love. Love of family, love of eachother ....and love for the Lord. It is rare that a family the size of the Burke's would still have a desire or make the effort to get together. Those times are filled with laughter and a love that I believe is rare to witness. The Burke get togethers are one of my personal favorites and I always leave thinking what an amazing family we have and how much each and everyone really cares for eachother. How we can laugh with eachother like I have never seen before.......and how I hope our children realize the gift that they have in this family....that started with Memaw and Grandad. It is my hope that in our five children that we can do as good of a job and that our children, their spouses, our grandchildren and great grand children will love eachother and the Lord the way this family does. It is also my hope that my children, grand children and great grand children know what joy they bring me, know what a blessing I consider each one of them and how blessed and honored I feel just being in their presence .....just like Memaw did for each of us.
Today when we told our children about Memaw passing, Hunter and Chandler were visibly emotional and had a difficult time with the news. Weston, after some time...asked why they were crying...we explained they were sad and suggested that perhaps he didn't fully understand what her death meant and that was okay. He returned by saying...."you know, I am not sad, when you die and go to heaven you only die once and you never die again. And when you die you get to be with Jesus. Also, when you die and go to heaven Jesus gives you a new body.........and it looked to me like Memaw needed one."
Through our tears we all laughed...but, how true that is....Memaw is in heaven with Jesus and she will be receiving that new body that she so desperately needed and can you picture the joy she will receive from that reward. Today is the "better" day she was speaking of....she is healed.
Tonight when I tucked in my boys, Hunter and I prayed for he and Chandler to receive comfort in knowing that Memaw has found peace and rests there with Jesus and our beloved Grandad..........but, we also prayed a prayer of thankfulness for the gift of being loved by such and amazing woman who was not afraid to tell you or show you how much love she had for you and how much joy the mere sight of your face brought her. Everyone should be so blessed.
Joy, Joy, Joy!!!
Love to all,
J




3 comments:
What a beautiful and inspiring tribute to Memaw. She is obviously a woman loved by many, and I know she derived great joy from all of you. Who wouldn't!? :) Thanks for sharing, and we're thinking of your family as you all cope with this loss.
Your incredible tribute to Memaw brought tears to my eyes. I know how much she was loved by your family and she knew it too. Although she will be terribly missed, she will be in your hearts forever. May she now rest peacefully and find eternal happiness with her greatest love. God Bless you all.
Your incredible tribute brought tears to my eyes. I know how much your family loved Memaw and I know she knew it too. May she now rest in peace and be reunited with her one great love. God Bless you all!
Sharyn in Florida
Post a Comment